Walking, jogging, running, jumping, hopping, stairs, sitting, cycling, swimming, climbing or sleeping, we use our legs a lot and regardless of which bit hurts, even if it is your little toe, it can really interfere with your everyday activities, or worse your sleep! Understanding the loads that your body needs to cope with makes up part of our in-depth assessment. We deal with pain in all areas of the body and all sorts of different conditions. Your legs undergo completely different loads from the rest of your body, 5 times your body weight when running for instance! but the good news is….that’s what they are designed to do.
We deal with pain related problems of all ages and through all stages of most injuries (not immediate care of a fracture – you need to go to hospital if this has happened!). We understand load management, from unloading to progressive loading over time and we have lots of ways to facilitate that optimal load for each injury or condition. We see all MSK conditions of the legs, but here are the common ones:
- All tendinopathies – gluteal, proximal hamstring, patella, Achilles and other less common ones
- Piriformis syndrome
- Groin strains
- Pelvic girdle pain
- hip pain – Osteoarthritis, labral tears, joint sprain
- muscle tears – hip flexor / quads / hamstring / calf – you name it!
- Anterior knee pain – Patello-femoral joint pain / Hoffa’s fat pad syndrome
- Knee ligament sprains – Anterior / posterior cruciate sprains and tears, Medial and collateral ligament tears
- Knee meniscal tears / degenerative tears
- Growing related pains – Osgood Schlatter’s, Sinding-Larson Johansson & Sever’s
- ankle sprains
- plantar fasciitis
- toe pain
- contusions / bruising
- non-specific pain problems
- and of course all lower limb fractures and post operative physio
We can manage you through all levels of care and believe in empowering you to fix the issue with our help, we will see you as much or as little as you want. Some patients just want to find out what is wrong and how to fix it and are only seen 1-2 times. We will provide you with a full explanation of your problem and provide a bespoke rehabilitation programme with diagrams and videos. Others want to be monitored through the process and tested at intervals along the healing process. To do this we have multiple methods from simple range of motion measures to complex computerised force plate or a Biodex Isokinetic machine used to measure isolated strength. Others people want or need a bit more input in the early stages of injury and may attend for several sessions for hands on manual therapy or soft tissue massage. We pride ourselves in being an evidence based and ethically driven patient centred clinic that puts your needs at the heart of your care, so you hopefully feel you are being looked after whatever your needs.
We have the tools and the means to manage all your lower limb injury needs. Give us a call to make an appointment or to discuss any questions you might have.